Thanks to my new job, for which getting to it keeps me underground for one hour every work day, I have picked up reading again after a long hiatus.
In the past, my daily commute could be entertained by either reading the free bilingual newspaper or listening to free-to-air radio or both, or simply by gazing at the passing scenery. Ever since I have gone underground, every glance out the window is reciprocated with either the dizzying blackness of the tunnel or the glaring whiteness of the train station. Without free-to-air radio, I am confined to the looping of 200 songs stored on my mobile phone, which is B-O-R-I-N-G! The change in working hours caused my daily commuting to be in misalignment with the newspaper distribution schedule. Bah!Get a smartphone, I was advised. Perhaps on-the-go internet connectivity could make me more news savvy and always connected to the virtual community, or being engaged in Bejeweled or Sudoku could make me less susceptible to dementia and Alzheimer's disease. But, I have not been convinced that constant facebooking, MSNing, or internet surfing would be vaue-adding to my boring life, nor do I find joy in being a member of Bejewelics Non-Anonymous (think: Alcoholics Anonymous).
Thus, the joy of reading is refound! How refreshing it is to be lost once again in fiction land! What an enjoyment it is to be immersed in the world of beautiful words, witty phrases, touching storylines and exhilarating plot twists! The experience is akin to watching a movie, as both activities provide an escape from the dreary world.
I do not have a favourite author though. As I find it less economical to rent, so I go to the library to browse the shelves and pick up random books. So far, my choices have been rather entertaining.
The first book I borrowed was The Divorce Party by Laura Dave. I think it is innate in me to have an exit plan before I even embark on anything. Before I take up a job offer, I would have considered the when, why and how of termination. Before I plan my wedding, I read The Divorce Party. Funny.
I picked up Austenland by Shannon Hale simply because there was mention of Jane Austen. I have not read any of her books, but I have watched two movies about her: Becoming Jane and The Jane Austen Book Club. I shall get around to her brilliant works some day.Four weeks into my new job and I have finished three novels and am starting on my fourth. Nice pace and I hope to keep it up!

5 comments:
Wow u read quite fast. It takes me 3 weeks to finish 2 books. Always good to read. Makes boring life a bit more interesting.
Nah, I don't read very fast, cos I may read at home too, not only when commuting. Because I plan to carry them around, the books I choose will have to satisfy my convenience criteria of not being too bulky and with comfortable font size. :)
same here, otherwise bag gets too heavy for convenience ...
Dun think I mentioned FB-ing, MSN-ing or Bejeweled when I suggested smartphone la huh...
3 books in 4 weeks is really impressive...I'm trying to read more at home than to switch on my laptop when I get home since my commuting time is VERY little...
Impressive.. you are really fast at getting new jobs! And of course, reading the books. =) So where are you working now? Have a facebook account then you can see my babies' photos and videos.. Too big to send the videos over emails. =)
Post a Comment