It's been some time since I actually wrote a post. So far, it's been pictures, pictures and more pictures. Well, there is a saying that a picture speaks a thousand words, isn't it? So, I let my pictures do the talking. Ha.
Listen to this song: Corrinne May's "Green-Eyed Monster"
How easy it is for bitterness and resentment to creep into our minds, when we compare ourselves with our more successful peers. How easy it is for us to lament that we are overworked and underpaid, that we're no lesser than the other luckier blokes and that we all deserve better.
How difficult it is for us to accept that, yes, this is my life, this is all I will ever be and I should be happy about it.
How to balance the scales between desire and contentment, I think it's a life-long lesson that we can only learn along the way.
While we're each grappling with our own internal issues, elsewhere in the world, disasters have been striking the external enviroment: Myanmar cyclone, Sichuan earthquake... Let's hope that's all for now... It's already too much for the world to deal with at the moment.
We watch the news, we feel sad, we want to help, we don't know how to help, maybe we donate some money, we watch the news and we get on with our daily lives. We watch the news, we feel sad, some people pray for the victims, we watch the news and we continue bitching about our selfish lives. It's not right, it's not wrong, it's just the way it is.
While we lament about our miserable lives... how we are overworked and underpaid... how we should deserve more... elsewhere in the world, tens of thousands of people in the disaster-struck lands have lost all means to any life at all. All of a sudden, the fragility of life is emphasized to a magnitude so huge it actually feels suffocating.
I am glad that I have tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, the day after the day after tomorrow, the day after the day after the day after tomorrow, etc... to plan for. Having said that, I don't really plan very far ahead either. I've been like that all my life, so it's quite hard to change now. I do try to cherish the present more now. I mean, I won't know when I stop having a "future" to think about, right? I don't think that's a morbid thought. I see it as practical, realistic, achievable.
So I think about where to bring my mum for holiday while she is still healthy and fit. So I splurge on good food while my tastebuds are intact and I can still afford it. So I go for movies and theatre shows while my eyes and ears can still take in all the sights and sounds. So I sweat and pant with my family and smell the flowers while we indulge in nature walks and flower shows. So I hang out with my friends while they are still willing to put up with my nonsense. So I tell my boyfriend how much I miss him while he still loves me. So I actually like my job on the good days. So I find excuses not to look for another job. So I have 101 reasons why I should continue to waste my life away the way I am doing now.
So just let me be. I am just trying to be contented with my life. I am trying to manage my desires. The world is already in such an unfortunate state. I am just trying to count my blessings. Ha.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
哇噻前半段好像是在講我醬……
Not talking about you lah. Actually talking about myself. But since it can apply to everyone, I used plural form.
Coincidence only. :)
I don't think it's a way of wasting life away. I think one just needs to take 5 every now and then to manage one's own expectations. And yes, just count our blessings everyday! =)
Post a Comment