Monday, October 26, 2009

Day Trip to Macau

I made a day trip to Macau yesterday. This marks 又一壮举 for me: 一个人旅行!I guess this means that I can do everything with just me, myself and I, no need friends, no need family... Nah, 独来独往的生活,虽然更容易在人群中穿梭自如,但真的是少了有伴一起玩的乐趣。

As I was walking from Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station to China Ferry Terminal, I noticed that the various brands of the BreadTalk Group are all in Hong Kong! Wow.


I reached the ticketing counter before 9am, but the earliest ferry available was only at 10.45am! There goes my plan to start roaming about Macau at 10am.


Hmm, what should I do to pass time? After loitering around the building with nothing else to do, I decided to have a breakfast set at 大家乐, to fill my half-empty stomach so that I wouldn't puke on the ferry, just in case. Anyway it'd be a couple of hours before I could reach Macau and find any decent food. To my surprise, the milk tea was actually not bad!


Finally, at 10am, the gate to immigration was open for my voyage.


OMG, long long queue of passengers.


I could clear the Hong Kong immigration just by scanning my smart HKID. Cool!

But, inside was another round of waiting...


Finally! Boarding the ferry at 10.40am.


I was allocated a seat on the upper deck, right in the last row, next to the toilet...


After the 1 hr 15 mins ferry ride, finally... Macau! That's Sands Macau in the distance (left of pic).


Look at the time! I woke up at 6.30am and only reached Macau at 12.25pm! I could have gotten up at the same time, took a flight from Singapore and reached at this time!


There were sooooooo many people at the immigration that it took a good half hour for me to clear it.

After grabbing some maps and brochures from the tourist information centre and spending 15 mins to figure out the map, I exited the ferry terminal building and hopped onto a public bus. Before I could figure out which part of the bus route I was on, the bus driver shouted "大三巴" and a big hoard of passengers alighted. Well, that means I had arrived in the vicinity of the Ruins of St. Paul.


Cool flooring! That's the first thing I noticed after I alighted from the bus.


I have since found out that the mosaic of coloured stones was created by the Portuguese, which is a signature feature of the Senado Square (議事亭前地,俗稱「噴水池」).


As with every other tourist infested place, McDonald's makes its landmark presence. See a hotel/casino in the distant background.


So crowded!


St. Dominic's Church


Traditional and modern brands coexist.


Along the way to the Ruins of St Paul's, there are many shops selling dried meat.


Macau taxi


大三巴


Viewing the bustling tourist trap from the garden.


Going to 大炮台


View of Macau city on the way up to the fortress.


Dunno why there was a group of people being filmed playing tai-chi.


View from the fortress


Going down from 大三巴. So many people!


Hey, traditional kites!


NaRaYa is in Macau too!


Almost 3pm. I dropped by the Tourist Information Centre nearby and asked for some pointers. The lady I spoke to was very helpful, giving me detailed instructions on how to find famous Portuguese egg tarts and how to take bus and free shuttle.

She told me, instead of travelling faraway in search of 安德魯餅店, why not I just take a short walk to 瑪嘉烈蛋撻 nearby, since the latter is run by the ex-wife of the former, which I did, considering that I really did not have much time to 环岛追追追.
a
There is a slip road between bossini and 周大福,once you turn left from the main road, turn right, and you can see 瑪嘉烈蛋撻.


Look at the crowd and queue! Madness!


And this is what the back of the buildings look like.


After queuing to make payment for my purchase, I had to queue in another line to collect the egg tarts! It was a 20 min wait just for the new batch of freshly baked egg tarts.

Finally, after wondering why I was queuing so long for just 2 egg tarts, I collected the pastry and rushed off to take a bus back to the ferry terminal to catch the Venetian shuttle to, well, The Venetian.
a
On the shuttle, I could finally eat my precious long-awaited egg tarts. Still warm! The pastry was crispy and the pudding 入口极化, heavenly! Definitely worth the wait. The ice milk tea that I got along with it was good too!


Upon arrival at The Venetian, I rushed off to get my ticket for Zaia. After all, that was my biggest aim at Macau.
a
Having the brochure in hand is very useful when you are in a rush. I just flashed it to every convenient person and asked "Where can I get the ticket for this?"


With the ticket in hand, I could then relax and walk around The Grand Canal Shoppes inside the Venetian, which is simply a replica of the one in Las Vegas.


I spotted these at one of the shops. So cute, right?


Ceiling design of The Venetian


Ladies @ The Venetian


The show that I came to see!


It was fantastic and I loved it! I have seen more than a couple of Cirque du Soleil shows and, I must say, every one is different, and this one was simply awesome! The 90 mins in the theater was the most enjoyable part of my stay in Macau. I was sitting just 5 rows away from the stage and the "clown" got me to participate in the show. As usual, as an audience participant, I was teased by the clown. It was fun, and the rest of the show was just mesmerising! I really enjoyed it. At the end of the show, they dropped heart-shaped balloons from the ceiling and I managed to get one! A souvenir from the show. Cool!


After that, I rushed off to hop on the Venetian shuttle back to Macau Ferry Terminal to switch to the Wynn shuttle.


The casinos in Macau were as brilliantly lit as those in Las Vegas, but there was no crowd on the streets. It was actually very quiet on the streets and sorely lacking the bustling atmosphere that I had expected. I guess everyone was either busy gambling in the casinos or busy queuing at the ferry terminals to get out of Macau.
a
Oh yah, I had come to the Wynn to see its fountain show.


It paled very much in comparison to the Bellagio Fountain in Las Vegas, but was still a delight to watch. Have a view at my recording.



Then I hopped on the Wynn shuttle back to Macau Ferry Terminal to catch my ferry back to Hong Kong.

The Sands Macau looks so much better at night, doesn't it?

8 comments:

Ur No.1 Fan said...

wow so fun!! so 1 day more than enough for macau? will u bring me there if i visit u? =)

Xïåöhüï said...

Wow, you are fast, I just posted only!

Yup, sure we can go together. And visit the places I missed on this trip. Haha!

xm said...

1 day trip counted? Next time od a longer trip la...

How come u woke up so early?

Lucky u, got on the right bus...

I wanna faint looking at the crowd...I supposed u aren't too satisfied with the photos pple take of u? Hehe

Were u the only audience participant? The balloon looks nice...fountain show...so-so only leh...

ps: 有一个错别字

Xïåöhüï said...

Of cos counted, need to chop passport leh.

I wanted to catch early ferry mah, how I know couldn't get, probably sold out.

The map will show the bus numbers at each bus stop, so you can make a guess, just can't quite figure out the route only.

Yah, so crowded hor. Even HK is not so crowded. Yah lah, the background in the photos all chopped off.

For Zaia, yup this time only invited audience to participate at the start, and that was me! Haha. I still have the balloon! And yup, fountain was so-so, hence I've saved you the trouble of making a trip to Wynn. Haha. They had a longer fountain show at 8.30pm with bursts of fire as well, but I didn't manage to video that.

入口即化. Thanks!

Seekingoals said...

或许是星期天的关系吧,所以才这么多人?在The Venetian 有让帅哥载你吗?8P

Xïåöhüï said...

What 帅哥?

Seekingoals said...

听说 Venetian 里 Grand Canal 上划船的都是外国帅哥,不是吗?

Xïåöhüï said...

那天划船的是个洋人美女哦!乘船要买船票的啊。