Ever since I saw this picture in a TIME magazine article late last year, Never Let Me Go became my must-watch movie and I waited for the local screening, like, forever!
When I chanced upon the novel in a book store, I decided that I must read it before I catch the film. Thus ensued a reading at feverish pace.
Finally, I caught the movie yesterday! As with most book-to-film adaptations, something will get lost in translation. There were a few tweaks to the plot and the depth and intensity

of the relationships between the three main characters got washed out in the 104-minute film. The significance behind the novel's title "Never Let Me Go" was also omitted in the film version!
Nevertheless, the cinematography and music in the film enriched the story in ways that the novel could not. I guess that is why, even though much of the book's essence was lost in the film, it was the movie experience that made me tear up.


No comments:
Post a Comment