Somewhere in the middle of Gilmore Girls Season 5 Episode 16 "So...Good Talk" screened today @6pm on Channel 5:
Excerpt from http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/story.cgi?show=25&story=7608:
Lane (with glasses) and mfTL are on a date in their living room on the floor. MfTL pours Lane a bit more Pepsi from their two-liter. Lane goes on and on, as she should, about how great it is to have mfTL cook her dinner. MfTL brags that he made the tomato sauce himself: Ragu with garlic salt, cayenne pepper, and a dash of wasabi. Lane says that the sauce made her ears pop. MfTL says he threw the spaghetti against the wall to see if it was done: "Made a shape of Peter Gabriel's big, bloated head." Ha. Lane gets up to go see it. MfTL grabs her arm and asks if she'll go see it "later." You know: "later." MfTL puts the charm on thick, kissing Lane's wrist, talking about how she's the best. They kiss. They kiss some more. MfTL has to add the word "after" to "later" so that Lane gets it: he wants sex. Tonight. Now-ish. Lane runs to the other side of the room, wondering how she should have known he'd want some. How long have they been living together? Do they really still sleep in separate rooms? MfTL thinks it was pretty clear he was angling for the booty, what with the cooking and the cleaning and the romancing with candles. "I don't know what else I could have done," he whines. Lane says he's right, and that she'd been given many, many clues: "I'm stupid." MfTL says she's not stupid. He was trying to be subtle. He calls himself a bad, bad man. "I pushed you," he says. "I should be arrested." Lane joins him on the wicker...papasan kind of thing, assuring him that he's a good guy: "I should have known." They've been dating four months, they live together, she's twenty, and they are of opposite sexes. Birds. Bees. Etc. MfTL smiles and asks, "What do you think?" Lane immediately answers, robotically: "Oh, well, I have to wait until I get married." This is news to both mfTL and Lane, who didn't expect those words to come out of her own mouth. MfTL says he's not sure he's cool with that; neither is Lane. Lane goes to clean the dishes. "You're not getting any tonight," she says. "The least I could do is clean up." MfTL sits back down, balls of blue, re-evaluating the past two years of his life.
Rory's job. Lane is on the ground, practically weeping into her arm: "I can't believe it! I just can't believe it!" Rory's still taking inventory while trying to soothe her friend. "It's okay," she says. Lane recounts all the ways she's rebelled against her mother's morals and ideals over the years, from makeup and spicy condiments to living with boys. But this? No sex before marriage? "Why couldn't the gluten-free thing stick? I could have lived with that." Lane says that Rory should have seen mfTL's face. Rory can imagine it's just like the face he'd make when he found out he wasn't going to have sex with Lane until their wedding night. Lane says that's exactly what his face looked like. Rory says a lot of people wait until their wedding night to have sex. Lane doesn't want to be Jessica Simpson or Donna from 90210. ["Which, bad fact-checking; Donna did eventually give it up before she got married." -- Wing Chun] ["Does a massive number of blowjobs count? Because then I suppose Jessica's out, too." -- Pamie] Lane wonders what'll happen if she never gets married and therefore never has sex. Rory assures her that she'll have sex one day. Lane says that's easy for Rory to say: "You've already had sex with two different guys all within a one-year period." Rory: "Okay, you're making me sound a little slutty." Lane says that Rory might as well be slutty, since she has no moral-preaching mother standing in the way of her skankiness. Rory: "Oh, well. When you put it that way." Lane asks if sex is great. Rory scolds, "Not in front of the books, Lane." Lane says she knows it's great, and that she'll never experience it because nobody will ever marry her if he has to wait until they get married to have sex. Rory is unfazed, thinking about how great her sex life is, as Lane leaves to get trash bags for the diner.
Outside the bookstore, Lane runs into MamaLane, who is passing out pamphlets. Lane shouts, "You're in my head! Are you happy? You are in my head!" MamaLane is confused, but secretly satisfied that her daughter is still living by her teachings.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
For the uninitated, Lane is Korean. Anyway, the purpose of this post is just to note that I found it interesting that the Asian value of chastity was discussed in the show. Well, chastity is not limited to just being an Asian value, it's actually a virtue concerning the state of the mind and body in many religious and cultural contexts, and the word derives, via the French chasteté, from the Latin castitas, which is the abstract of castus (the root of chaste), which originally meant a 'pure' state of conformity with the Greco-Roman religion, rather the practical counterpart of a pious (Latin pius) state of mind, in no way limited to the sexual sphere (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chastity)... but it's now become a forgotten virtue.
But it's interesting to note how this virtue-value that her mum has taught her, probably since young, is now so deep-seated within her such that her response to MfTL's request was a reflex reaction.
Ok, I'm not here to discuss my views on chastity & premarital sex... mmm... not now anyway. Ciao!
Sunday, December 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow it definitely sounds like a really interesting show! Too bad I've missed it...
Seriously, do u sometimes wonder whether ur friends have done it? I can remember discussing this with my hallmates and conclusion was that it could be more than half of those who stayed in hall who has done it...
Post a Comment