Saturday, February 18, 2006

Lost

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

just some thoughts...

knowing what the result will be doesn't guarantee that it will necessarily come true. cos what happens is dependant on your actions. the 'knowledge' serves as a guide for you on the possibiliy of what may be due to what your current course of actions are.

it doesn't necessarily offer the alternative perspective which is what happen if you give up your course of action.

beside, the result may not be something that you like. in this case, wouldn't you want or even think of changing the outcome. in that process, doesn't that give u a purpose?

knowing 'it' may actually be the motivation for some, to spur them on knowing that they can achieve what they can achieve...

=)

Xïåöhüï said...

I get what you mean. But I sort of agree with Lynn's interpretation of the saying.

If you can safely predict the result of your chosen course of action, you'll sort of lose your sense of purpose. Ok, this statement may not explain clearly. Give you a practical example.

Example in my work, I've come to a stage where I already know what to expect and do each day, how much time to spend on each task, what will happen if I do or not do something. And so, there becomes nothing to look forward to, because everything is predictable. Even if something happens out of the blue, the issue will also become a non-issue, and every problem is no longer a problem, because I have a solution to every problem. Well, almost. And because I know it all, or so I think, there's no more motivation to "achieve" the "known" outcome, because reaching the goal is no longer considered an achievement.

Which is why I'm lost and wonder what am I doing and why am I doing what I'm doing...

I guess one strives and feels motivated to achieve something when the element of uncertainty is there. It's like, you expect to achieve a certain result if you put in this much effort through this chosen course of action, but there's always this "BUT" at the back of your mind wondering whether you'll really suceed, and hence you will strive hard to make sure that the nagging doubt doesn't materialise.

But when you're 100% sure of the outcome, then all purpose is lost.

Get what I mean?

Anonymous said...

i'm a Libran, we like to look at two sides of the coin.

i'm not saying that i do not agree with Lynn's (whoever she is) interpretation. it's more like how you read into/ apply the statement.

i think it's gotta do with attitude also. it's how you wanna approach life, the way you react, etc.

knowing the result may leave some lost. why? cos they may be overwhelmed by the burden of the knowledge. in this case, ignorance is bliss...

knowing the result may very well also give others the extra motivation, knowing that they are on the right track to acheiving what they want. it's like a pat on the back, an acknowledgement that you are doing the right things.

i don't think anyone can ever reach a 100% certainity abt life, cos we're not God.

there is always a 50/50 chance the outcome will be different.

if purpose in life is set in the stone for each of us, and not a choice, then there's nothing to lose.

what's your purpose in life? what's your motivation?