For the first time in my life, I get a chance to vote! Unlike the previous election where it was a walkover in my previous GRC, this time there's a contest! And it looks pretty interesting to me.

But alas, I'll be in the land of the hobbits, so I won't be able to exercise my right to vote! And when I do not vote, I will be in the list of non-voters which is passed to the Registration Officer. The Registration Officer will then remove my name from the certified register of electors. This means that I cannot vote at any subsequent presidential or parliamentary election, and I am disqualified from being a candidate at any subsequent presidential or parliamentary election. Grr...
Can I get my name back on the register of electors for my constituency?
You can do so anytime by applying to the Registration Officer with an explanation as to why you did not vote. You can find out how to do this at Check Register of Electors. However, a penalty is imposed if you do not have valid and sufficient reason for not voting. You must pay $5 to restore your name to the register of electors if you do not give valid and sufficient reason.
You need to substantiate your explanation when applying to restore your name to the register of electors. For those who were on an overseas vacation or business trip, the passport plus documents showing that the trip had been planned before Nomination Day should be produced, such as receipts from travel agencies, air tickets, hotel booking receipts, or a suitable letter from your employer.
Source: http://www.elections.gov.sg/compulsory.htm
麻烦... 真麻烦...
Heck! New Zealand, here I come!!

1 comment:
Urs always walkover ah? Some find it troublesome to have to vote...一些人恨不得他们能投下神圣的一票...I always thought Seng Kang is under Pasir Ris Punggol, obviously I was wrong...
Post a Comment