Sunday, December 17, 2006

冬至吃汤圆

There are a few occasions in a year for which I will make it a point to be home for dinner. They are the reunion dinner on the eve of Lunar New Year (年除夕团圆饭), Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋节) and Winter Solstice (冬至).

This year's 冬至 falls on Friday, Dec 22. As my bro will be despatched to some ulu place for work, we are having the dumplings (汤圆) early this time... today!

Now, these are not the ordinary 汤圆 that you are familiar with. Nope, they're not your usual peanut ah balling or tau sar ah balling or black sesame ah balling. They are... *drum roll*... read on!

Making the dough

Because we are making 汤圆 way too early, the market has not started selling the ready-made glutinous dough for making 汤圆. Hence, my mum had to do everything from scratch! That explains the glutinous flour and colouring in the first pic.

Shredding the carrots

Very effort siah, gotta shred all the carrots and radish.

Cooking the 汤圆

Other than the 汤圆, carrot and radish, there're also minced pork, minced fish and fish ball!

The master chef and the helpers

You must be wondering, where was I amidst all these? I was, of course, doing what I do best... Standing around and doing nothing! Heehee... And taking these photos of cos!

Finally, the dish all ready served!

Yum! A few hours of hard work all gone to the stomach in less than half an hour...

I shall convince my mum to make this again on Friday... Heehee!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah so this is the 咸汤圆 instead of the normal 甜汤圆 we usually have? Interesting! I had the plain pink one before, but in ginger soup, not as 好料……

How I wish I can have dinner with my family on these special days of the yr...

Xïåöhüï said...

Yup, 咸汤圆, my fav! =)

你人在异乡,身不由己嘛!But Singapore is your 2nd home liao lah.