The term "Rojak" is Malay for mixture, is also used as a colloquial expression for an eclectic mix (source: Wikipedia), and, in this case, is really apt for the content of this post, and you will see why.
Let's start with my favourite ingredient in Rojak: youtiao, which is synonymous with the significance of movies in my life. Yums!
I watched 7 films in two weeks. Woohoo!
1. American History X (1998)
2. EuroTrip (2004)
3. Wedding Crashers (2005)
4. Hero (2007/Jap Movie)
5. 2 Days in Paris (2007)
6. Before Sunrise (1995)
7. Before Sunset (2004)
American History X talks about racism in the American society, White Power, Black hatred... There is use of strong language, which is an understatement, graphic brutal violence, as well as nudity. Yeah, you get to see Edward Norton's pretty good bod, which he specially beefed up for the show, full monty, the works. But that's not the point. It's a pretty good movie, not easy to watch at times, some parts over-simplified, but still good overall. Recommended!
EuroTrip is a raunchy comedy about a group of 4 American high school grads' adventure in Europe. It is a crappy movie really, but thoroughly entertaining. You just laugh and laugh throughout. Lots of F-words again, typical of American movies, and lots of naked women... and men... It's not lewd really, but absolutely hilarious! Recommended.
Wedding Crashers is not as raunchy as EuroTrip, but still funny and entertaining. Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn just carried the show great together. Recommended!
Hero was like a super bumper 2-hr TV episode. 131 minutes, in fact. Brian was right, it was Zzzzzz...
2 Days in Paris. A Picturehouse exclusive showcase. "2 Days follows two days in the relationship of a New York based couple; a French photographer Marion and American interior designer Jack-as they attempt to re-infuse their relationship with romance by taking a vacation in Europe." Because it's Julie Delphy, there's an inevitable comparison to Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. But this is really a very different movie from the other two, albeit the similar subject matter. Less intensive dialogue, but no lesser intensity between the couple. Very entertaining. It's laugh-out-loud, but not in-your-face. Recommended!
Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Ah, I really love these two films! So when Baozhu asked if I wanted to buy the Before Sunset DVD for $15, I replied yes immediately. I watched Before Sunrise last night after coming home from 2 Days in Paris. It was while watching it that I realised that, hey, I've watched it before! I can't remember when and how. I probably borrowed it from Baozhu before, or perhaps it was shown on TV, but I really can't remember now. But it doesn't matter really. I totally couldn't remember how the story developed, but as I was watching it, it was all familiar as I followed the storyline, but yet I couldn't tell what was coming up as I've forgotten it! So watching it again was a very interesting experience. I like the film so much, and like Baozhu, I think I can watch it over and over again and again!
It was the same case with Before Sunset. Watching it today after I woke up this morning was also an experience that combined familiarity with discovery. I felt that Before Sunrise was the more romantic one of the two, as it showed how two strangers connected and fell in love with each other. Before Sunset showed them catching up mostly, and probably falling in love with each other all over again. I love the intense conversations and Ethan Hawke looking at Julie Delphy with his dopey eyes like he was going to kiss her anytime.
At the end of Before Sunset, when the couple got to the downstairs of Julie Delphy's apartment, I noticed that the couple who played her parents were the same couple in 2 Days in Paris who played her parents as well, and they are her real parents in real life! Haha. The cat in both movies is probably the same one, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's hers in real life too. And when she sang the song A Waltz for a Night for him, I was like, OMG! This is the same song that Chet Lam had covered in his Camping album! Ah, so this song was written by her for this movie! This pleasant discovery plus the romance in the movie almost brought tears to my eyes when I was watching this part. The ending of the Sunrise/Sunset series remains open. I do hope there's a sequel soon, I can't wait!
Next, shrimp paste. What is rojak without shrimp paste? Who am I without my family? Haha. Okok, very lame. I'm gonna talk about birthday celebrations. My family's.
For my mum's birthday, we went to Wah Lok @ Carlton Hotel for dim sum. I love the dim sum there! Yummy!! But look at our expressions after the meal. Hmmm...
Well, I guess my bro's gf needs to learn a thing or two about snapping at the right moment. Hahaha!
For my bro's birthday, we went to Brewerkz Indoor Stadium. We had Chicken Quesadillas, Calamari, The Merlion pizza and a Rib-eye Steak. What, no beer at Brewerkz? Of cos not! I had a pint of IPA while they had orange juice, mango juice and a Philips Fizz.
The Chicken Quesadillas were the most yummy! While the calamari started well, the soaking in the sauce made them soggy afterwards. I wanted to come here to try out the Neapolitan style pizza. The Merlion was cheese based with prawns, squids and mussels toppings. Well, they were so generous with the ingredients that the centre part was so heavy that when you tried to lift up one slice, the toppings just slid off! Best to eat while it's hot, otherwise the crust would become real chewy when it's cooled. The best part about the steak was the mashed potato. It was really good! We ordered the steak to be medium, but it came out too raw, so we had to send it back to be microwaved to cook it a wee bit more.
On the actual day of my bro's birthday, his gf cooked him a lunch of pasta with bacon and scrambled eggs. Well, I dunno who cooked what, as they were both claiming credit for this and that. I was just glad that I finally had one lunch at home that was not instant noodles or bread or cereals. The meal was rather yummy!
For some reason, my bro's gf thought that he thought that he was an angel. Or perhaps it was him who thought that she thought that he was an angel. Whatever. ;p
For dinner, my mum cooked curry chicken!! Yum! Yum!
Lastly, chopped peanuts. They're always in the rojak dish, but you don't really pay attention to them. Just like my shadow! Muahahaha! Well, I was walking home after I got off the bus, and I suddenly turned back and saw my long shadow and decided to take a photo of it. Heehee!
By the way, my favourite rojak is the one at the Old Airport Road Hawker Centre. The one which you have to take a number to queue for the right to order and after you finally get to order, it will only be ready, like, after an hour. Ridiculous, right? But this stall makes real fresh & crunchy & fragrant yummy rojak! Ooohh, I'm drooling already!

4 comments:
You make me miss home so much now.. :(
What did I do?
No.. just reading about Rojak (which I don't have here)and your family. I don't get to do what you do. :( Can't even celebrate bdae with my family.. Needless to say, eat Rojak.
Well, I don't get to do what you can do too. Don't dwell on what you are missing. Instead, treasure what you have. =)
Post a Comment