
Tracks:
01. (Prologue) You Can't Hurry Love (Original Artist: Diana Ross & The Supremes)
02. Dancing Queen (Original Artist: ABBA)
03. I Don't Want to Say Goodbye (Original Artist: Teddy Thompson)
04. The Boy From Ipanema (Original Artist: Astrud Gilberto)
05. When He Sings (New Song by Chet Lam)
06. Crazy 4 You (Original Artist: Madonna)
07. Let's Go Camping (New Song by Chet Lam)
08. A Waltz for a Night (Original Artist: Julie Deply)
09. Rent (Original Artist: Pet Shop Boys)
10. You've Got to Learn (Original Artist: Nina Simone & Charles Azavour)
11. Cool (Original Artist: Gwen Stefani)
12. Eternal Flame (Original Artist: Bangles)
13. (Epilogue) Happy Ending (New Song by Chet Lam)
My first reaction upon listening to just the first few tracks of the album: SO GAY!!! And by "gay", I'm not referring to the feeling of being happy... It's my 白马王子 singing songs whereby all the subjects are him's... !!幻想破灭!!
Ok, disregarding the gay aspect, I listened to the album again... and again... and again... And I found it quite enjoyable really. It's very soothing, simple and very Chet-style: highlighting his vocals and instruments, mainly guitar, flute & tambourine, and some piano, drums & clapping. And the theme is also very Chet-style -- it's about LOVE, of course.
My fav tracks:
Track 4: The Boy from Ipanema
Like his flirtatious singing, the purposeful sighing/drawl, the real-cool-flirting trumpet and the cheeky whistle. Love the way he pronounces "boy". Haha!
Track 6: Crazy 4 You
Like the smoky music arrangement and his sexy, passionate singing. Ooohh...
Track 9: Rent
Love the guitar strumming and the sarcasm of the whole thing.
"I love you, you pay my rent"
Other mentionable tracks:
Track 2: Dancing Queen
Very soothing. I like the faraway-effect at the beginning. The whole style is very different from the original version, but it's NICE!
Track 3: I Don't Want to Say Goodbye
Very soothing as well. Like the bird-chirping at the beginning. There's an inset of a tune from 《趁着天还未亮》 (Mandarin) from "Introducing Chet Lam" album / 《冷热之间》 (Cantonese) from "travelogue, too" album. Coincidentally (or purposely?), all 3 songs are track no. 3 in their respective albums.
Track 7: Let's Go Camping
Like the liveliness of this song. And the flute! But the slow ending lyrics reminds me of "Brokeback Mountain"...
Track 11: Cool
Track 12: Eternal Flame
Like these 2 songs too! But I don't quite like the fade-off ending of "Eternal Flame"; would have preferred it if he had opted for a clean-cut ending.
My least favourite tracks:
Track 1: You Can't Hurry Love
I find the chorus too noisy for my liking.
Track 8: A Waltz for a Night
Very draggy. Get over him, man! It's just a one night stand. Quit harping on it!
Track 10: You've Got to Learn
Trying to convince yourself to get over someone, but failing miserably, in my opinion.
The rest:
Track 5: When He Sings
Track 13: Happy Ending
Chet's creations. I don't particularly like/dislike them.
This is an album about the full cycle of love. From the initial attraction to flirtations, one night stands, heartaches, failed lovers remaining as good friends, and friends (or more than friends?) comforting each other... till they fall in love with each other (maybe?) and start a new relationship... By the end of the album, it seems like he's trying to send the message that we should get over past heartaches and move on with life... But I'm not convinced that he has convinced himself yet...

3 comments:
woah.. can i borrow? haha. wonder how he sings all those songs man. =)
Can, but gotta wait till I own the album... Currently I'm borrowing it from XM...
I've never heard most of the originals of those songs that he covered though.
哇你真的听得很仔细hor...wait till I get it back...heh
Listened to it...sort of...like his version of Dancing Queen...which is the only song that I've heard the original version...so this album will be "new" to me...
Post a Comment